Monday, April 19, 2010

Media Meditation 6

My experiences as a Radio DJ

For the last several weeks, I have been DJing on the Champlain Wave web radio station. It has been an interesting experience to say the least. For one, it has kindled a desire to be a part of radio in some way. It is really enjoyable. Secondly, it has been quite a challenge to figure out a format for my show. I remember in the text that it said that only amateurs go out on to a radio show with no script whatsoever. I suppose I am an amateur. On some shows, I have even gone on with no idea of what I am going to play. I don't know if I like the idea of having a script or not having a script better. When you have a script, you have a base to work off. However, you are tied to it. When you don't have a script, you can come up with whatever you want, and just do it as you go along, but things don't sound as polished unless you have a lot of experience.

I plan to do the show again all next year, and when I do there are going to be some format changes. For one, I want to have a bit of a script. There isn't a huge me talking portion of the show, but I would like to have little bits to say about the different bands that I play on the show after I play them. I do that now, but it is limited to what I know off the top of my head. If I came up with stuff before hand, it would probably be better and definitely more indepth.

No comments:

Post a Comment